PYONGYANG, July 18 (Xinhua) -- The official media of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) said Wednesday the specter of military coup has not disappeared from South Korea, as shown by a "recently revealed" document drawn up on the instruction of Seoul's presidential palace.
The official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said "the reality clearly proves that the ghost of military coup and military dictatorship is never thrown into the grave of history but still hovers over the South Korean people, watching for a chance."
It said the Defense Security Command of South Korea planned a military coup in March last year just ahead of the impeachment of former President Park Geun Hye.
"A document, worked out by the command at the instruction of Chongwadae (the presidential palace) at that time, deals with the action program for the military coup such as declaration of 'garrison law' and 'martial law' and the phased dispatch of troops and even a person to seize [the] administrative and judicial system," KCNA said.
The alleged coup attempt was aimed at "coping with the massive struggle to be escalated in case of the rejection of the bill on the impeachment of Park Geun Hye," it said in reference to the "candlelight protests" which toppled the former president.
"In particular, the plan contained a proposal to justify their military coup under the pretext of 'threat from the north,'" KCNA said.
The news agency did not specify the document, saying it was "recently revealed to the shock of the public at home and abroad."
Inter-Korean relations have improved since the beginning of the year and the leaders of the two sides of the Korean Peninsula have agreed to work for peace and denuclearization.